Small Works Salon
Small Works Salon 2018
A juried exhibition of artwork at the Chandler Gallery
Juror: Heidi Whitman
Entry deadline: February 2, 2018
March 26 to April 20, 2018
Reception: Thursday, March 29, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
The Chandler Gallery invites artists to submit work inspired by mapping. Artists may interpret mapping in many ways and make work that is not necessarily literal but uses the idea of mapping metaphorically. Personal maps of mind, body, daily routine, experience and memories as well as maps of the city, sky, or ocean are all possibilities; any 2D or 3D techniques including works on paper, prints, drawings, photographs, collages, books, paintings, and sculpture are eligible.
Open to artists in the greater Boston area.
- Each artist may submit a maximum of 3 entries. Please include a maximum of 2 detail images per piece if you are submitting 3D/sculptural work
- The Chandler Gallery is very small. We ask artists to submit work appropriate for the gallery’s size. Please see floor plan here: http://www.maudmorganarts.org/chandler-gallery/gallery-information/
- $10 per entry/ maximum of 3 entries
- Complete the entry form on line: https://goo.gl/forms/1sRknMol0XbnxHLT2
- Save your submission images as jpegs. Each jpg should be 1200 pixels in the longest dimension and named as NAME_#.jpg where # is the submission number and Name is your last name: SMITH_1.jpg
- Label each image with the number corresponding to the entry number in the Google form
- Email your images to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the subject line of your email write: Small Works Salon 2018
- Payments can submitted via SquareUp: https://squareup.com/store/maud-morgan-arts
- Entry deadline: February 2, 2018, 12:00 midnight EST
- Notification: Between February 20 – 22
- Delivery of work: March 14,15, 16 and Sat. 11 am – 2 pm
- Exhibition opens: March 26
- Reception: Thursday, March 29, 6 – 8 pm
- Exhibition ends: April 20
- Pickup of Work: TBA
Delivery of artwork
- Artists are required to transport artwork and materials to gallery space.
- The Chandler gallery does not accept shipped work and will not ship work back.
- Submission of artwork does not guarantee acceptance in the exhibition.
Questions? Boriana Kantcheva: 617 349-6287 x22 or e-mail: email@example.com
About Heidi Whitman
Heidi Whitman’s paper constructions, paintings, and drawings are invented terrains or mental maps. Contemporary city grids and maps of ancient ruins are primary references.
Whitman has exhibited internationally, most recently in The Art of Mapping at TAG Fine Arts in London. She has shown twice in solo exhibitions at the Christopher Henry Gallery in New York, in 2014 and 2011. Her other recent exhibitions include the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, SCOPE Miami, the Boston Center for the Arts, Whitespace (Atlanta), Pierogi Gallery, Wheaton College, the Boston Drawing Project, Clark University, the McMullen Museum of Art, the Southeastern Louisiana Contemporary Art Gallery, and Harvard College.
Whitman’s work was featured in Katharine Harmon’s book The Map as Art, Princeton Architectural Press, 2009. In 2007 Whitman completed a commission for the City of Cambridge (Jill Brown-Rhone Park). Her public and private collections include the McMullen Museum of Art, the Boston Public Library, IBM, Simmons College, Bank of America, Boston University, the Federal Reserve, JPMorgan Chase, and Fidelity Investments.
She graduated from the University of California at Berkeley and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Whitman is a recipient of the Clarissa Bartlett Traveling Scholarship awarded by the Trustees of the Museum of Fine Arts. She is a faculty member at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts.